Tuesday, November 28, 2006


I started this shawl somewhere in september (before I started blogging), and was struggling with the nupps (p5tog). Not much fun ! The yarn (knitpicks Alpaca Cloud in Tidepool) is beautifull, but also very slippery on a metal needle. And I needed to knit this on a metal needle, because I had to use very sharp points to execute the P5tog ! Somewhere last week I decided to take this project up again (I want to finish some smaller projects lying around). Instead of P5tog, I used sl2, P3tog, slip psso. This was advised to me by the lady at 'knitting ajour'. It wasn't easy either, and I had the feeling that only on the last rows of the pattern I finally managed even and consistent nupps. I chalked it up as a learning experiment (I consider myself a very beginning lace knitter). Only when I blocked it, I found a glaring mistake ! Can you see it ? What happened is (I think) I must have missed several strands of yarn for the nupp. So now I have a tangled mess where a nupp should be. Anybody knows a good remedy for this ? Can I repair this, even if the shawl is already of the needles ? Any hints and tips are welcome !

Ik startte dit driehoekig sjaaltje ergens in september (nog voor ik een blog had). Het patroon kan je vinden in 'Interweave Knits', herfst 2006 (http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/preview/2006_fall.asp). Het is ontworpen door Evelyne Clark, een ontwerpster die prachtig kantbreiwerk ontwerpt. Dit ontwerp lukte niet zo goed, enerzijds door het moeilijke manoeuvre 'brei 5 steken samen averechts', en ook door het prachige alpacagaren, dat heel erg slipperig was. Ik gebruikte een zeer scherpe metalen naald (2mm) om de 5 steken samen te breien, maar dat zorgde dat er nogal eens steken van mijn naald gleden ! Niet leuk.
Vorige week besloot ik het nog eens te proberen (ik wil sowieso enkele rondliggende kleinere projecten uit de weg hebben). Op aanraden van 'knitting ajour' haalde ik eerst 2 steken af, dan 3 averechts samenbreien, en daarna de 2 afgehaalde steken overhalen. Nog steeds niet makkelijk, pas bij de laatste rijen had ik het gevoel dat alles zo'n beetje in de plooi viel. Ik beschouw mezelf toch als een beginnende kantbreister, dus ik heb nog heel wat te leren. Pas nadat ik het sjaaltje opgespeld had, merkte ik een grote fout. Kunnen jullie het zien ? Ik moet ergens verschillende draden hebben laten vallen toen ik een bobbel probeerde te breien. Weet iemand een oplossing hiervoor ? Het sjaaltje is al afgekant, alle tips welkom !

3 comments:

Monika said...

I'm sorry I can't help you with your problem. Lace knitting is new to me too. I like your Lana Grossa socks. It's a nice color. How's your blanket coming along? Alice Starmore's work is so beautiful, but I'd never mess around with so many colors. That's not for me. I adore those who can knit these items.

Unknown said...

hi, your Swallow looks GREAT. To be honoust: I don't see your mistakes!?

My next lace project is Kiri (see my blog for the details, its a free pattern!)

Katie said...

I REALLY had to look to find your mistake, and probably wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't mentioned it. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm not sure you need to. :-)