Wednesday, July 25, 2007

mystery stole 3 progress



This is my progress on my Mystery Stole 3 so far. For me knitting on a Mystery Stole has been a summer tradition the last 3 years. I started on the Mystery stole 1 (Leda's dream) as a novice lace knitter. Apart from a lace cuff on a sock, I was a lace virgin. So the mystery stole 1 was the most difficult. Partly because I was a beginning lace knitter, and partly because you had to combine instructions from different charts. I am sorry I cannot show you a picture of the finished object, I gave it away as a gift and have never seen it since.

De 'mysterie stola' breien is mijn zomerse breitraditie geworden de laatste jaren. Ik begon eraan als een complete leek in kunstbreiwerk, dus ik heb echt wel geworsteld met het eerste project. Ik kan er jammer genoeg geen foto van laten zien, heb deze stola weggegeven als geschenk en er daarna nooit meer iets van gehoord.

I loved MS2 because I learned a lot about 'reading my yarnovers'. It was not a repetive lace pattern that you can memorize, you really had to learn to read the chart, and read your knitting. For a picture see my previous blogpost : http://dominiqueknitting.blogspot.com/2006/12/more-lace-knitting-pictures.html

Mysterie stola 2 heeft me heel veel geleerd. Het was geen kantpatroon dat je zomaar uit je hoofd kon leren. Je moest echt wel het breischema kunnen volgen, en ook je breiwerk kunnen interpreteren op fouten.


I would consider myself a intermediate lace knitter now. On MS3 I finished row 287 (with the lifeline) last night. Taking a look back - I noticed an error way down at the end of clue 3, you have this 2d 'inverted V'. I used a left leaning decrease instead of a right leaning decrease. Result is that the V doesn't close properly. I pointed this out to my DH, but to him it was like I was talking chinese. It's not a big error, everything is lining up properly. I am sure nobody will see it when I wear the stole. I am not discouraged, merely slightly annoyed. I am not advanced yet to ladder down (especially not on the centre stitch with all the double decreases). On top of that, I use a yarn that's doesn't like tinking, because it splits very easily (Schachenmayr Rheuma wolle). I am anxious to see what the next clue will look like, but am leaving on a (knitting) trip next thursday, and no way I will be able to donwload the file next friday. I hope to be able to do that somewhere on my trip, but not sure yet. More about the trip tomorrow !


Nu zou ik mezelf omschrijven als 'gemiddeld' in verband met kantbreien. Ik ben bij MS3 tot aan rij 287 geraakt zonder grote problemen, dacht ik toch. Ik merk nu wel dat ik een heel aantal rijen naar beneden een klein foutje heb in het breiwerk. Bij de tweede 'omgekeerde V' heb ik een links leunende mindering (overhaling ipv 2 samenbreien). Daardoor sluit de V niet helemaal. Niet echt een grote fout, maar 'echte' kantbreisters zullen het wel opmerken. Ik ben een beetje ambetant hierover, maar ga het toch niet riskeren om alles op die plaats naar beneden te ladderen. Veel te veel risico op nog meer problemen ! En bovendien is de Rheuma Wol niet echt happy met terugbreien, dan begint ze uit mekaar te rafelen, en moet je extra opletten dat je nog alle draadjes terug opneemt. Mijn stola is dus niet perfect, maar ik kan ermee leven. Ik ben benieuwd wat Melanie (de moderator van de MS3) nog voor ons in petto heeft. Ik vertrek op een 'brei-reis' volgende week donderdag, 1 dag voor de nieuwe tip uitkomt. Waarschijnlijk zal ik op reis niet in de mogelijkheid zijn om de tip te downloaden (ik zit op een boot dan). Ik schrijf wat meer over mijn reis morgen op de blog !

4 comments:

Wendee said...

I missed the Mystery Stole sign-ups by a day - I've been so jealous of everyone who has been bringing theirs into the shop! Darn! Yours looks great!!

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

gorgeous, I love it and one day I too will knit lace like this:)

Nautical Knitter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It looks great, beautiful, stupendous! There should always be one mistake that only you know about. You are way more than an intermediate lace knitter. Good luck on the rest of the piece.